Interested in getting more involved with Red Hook Public Library? The Board of Trustees has an opening for a new Trustee. If you’re interested, review the qualifications and fill out the questionnaire.
Questionnaires may be mailed to: Red Hook Public Library, 7444 S. Broadway, Red Hook, NY 12571 or e-mailed to email@example.com.
The Red Hook Public Library Board of Trustees works with and supports the library staff and director in developing long-range plans and goals for library services. The trustees participate actively in a wide variety of activities in support of the Red Hook Public Library. The responsibilities include:
• Policy Development
• Strategic Planning
• Financial development and funds development (budget)
• Public relations
A trustee must be willing and able to devote the necessary time to carry out responsibilities as a board member. This includes preparation and attendance at monthly meetings, planning sessions, attendance at a Trustee Essential workshop provided by Mid-Hudson Library System, committee meetings, and other library and community events as required, as well as participating in ongoing advocacy efforts on behalf of the library.
Preferable skill sets to become a member include:
• Strong general level of awareness of the community the library serves.
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn about the opportunities and challenges faced by a public library and its funding and budget process.
• Appropriate communication skills and the willingness and ability to represent the library in the community.
• Readiness and ability to contribute and actively participate in Board initiatives.
• Ability to function in a collaborative environment with many key stakeholders and community partners.
• Commitment to ongoing personal growth and development as a Board member.
A potential trustee must be a resident of the Red Hook School District, have a background, education, or experience in any of the areas of responsibilities mentioned.
Searching for a new Board member may be done by word of mouth, articles or advertisements in the local newspaper, networking in person, or on the Internet. There is always an open invitation to sit in and observe Board meetings. Any potential candidate is encouraged to observe Board process prior to the appointment to gain a better understanding of how the library Board works.
The candidate will fill out a three-question application and attend a Board meeting. At the Board meeting the candidate will be interviewed by the entire current Board. An appointment to a vacancy is done by the Village of Red Hook Board of Trustees, based on a recommendation from the Red Hook Public Library Board of Trustees. Once appointed, a trustee serves on the Board for a period of five years.