About the Program
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (yes you can repeat books) before your precious one starts kindergarten. 1000 Books Before Kindergarten is designed to be a simple way to incorporate reading together in your everyday life.
Read or look at at least one book a day with the young child in your life and see how that one book multiples into many books, all helping that child learn the early literacy skills they need to grow into readers who enjoy books. Repeating books, audiobooks, paging through a board book, books read at storytime and reading books in any language all count.
Does reading 1,000 books seem challenging?
We promise it’s not as hard as you think!
If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started!).
- 3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
- 1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
How to Participate
- Stop by the Library and pick up a reading log to track your first 100 Books.
- Read with your child (and attend our weekly storytimes). Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding.
- Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. If you are able to, make sure to keep a record of “any” book that is being read to your child. This includes teachers, siblings, and librarians.
- Return your completed tracker to the Library and pick up a completion prize and your next 100 Book reading log.
- Who can participate in the program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate.
- How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- What happens when we complete the program? Your child will get a 1KBBK completion prize and be featured in our socials (if you allow). Then you get to continue reading together!